THE long-awaited Night Tube will start in August but only on two of the planned five lines, it was claimed today.
Passengers will be able to travel through the night on Fridays and Saturdays on the Victoria and Jubilee lines, beginning on August 5. Service on the Picadilly, Central and Northern lines will follow in September, it is understood.
The whole of Night Tube could be in operation for Friday September 23, more than 12 months after the service's intended launch of September 12 last year. Businesses say the service will give the night-time economy a welcome boost, worth millions of pounds a year.
Mayor Boris Johnson announced the plans for a Night Tube in September 2014 but the network's unions refused to agree. Subsequent rows over pay, staffing and working conditions led to aseries of bitter strikes and threats of further industrial action, delaying the process.
Details of the start were revealed by union Aslef, which represents train drivers. It started today:
London Underground's new Night Tube service is set to be launched in August . Tfl has drawn up plans to roll out the new all-night service line by line.
Passengers will be able to travel through the night on Fridays and Saturdays on the Victoria amd Jubilee lines in August and then on the Central, Northern and Piccadilly lines in September.
There are plans to expand night-times running to parts of the Metropolitian, Circle, District and Hammersmith and City lines in the future - and to sections of London Overground next year and the Docklands Light Railway by 2021. Aslef's organiser on LU, Finn Brennan said: "We were always clear that we were in favour of Night Tube. A world-class capital city such as London deserves a world-class public transport system. We are really pleased that passeners will be able to enjoy an all-night service from August."
Mr Johnson had hoped for Night Tube to begin before he leaves City Hall on May 5, viewing it as an important part of his legacy. It is understood he has been pressing Transport for London for some weeks for a start date so he could at least announce it before he stands down. A Tfl spokesman denied that dates had been agreed. He added: “No date has yet been agreed for the launch of Night Tube but we are working hard to deliver it for London as quickly as possible.”
Sources told the Evening Standard that an official announcement was expected to be made by the Mayor this week when he meets new driver recruits for Night Tube.
The meeting was scheduled to take place at Tfl owned Ashfield House, a staff training centre which includes a mock station, in West Kensington.
There had been claims that Mr Johnson had timed his meeting for tomorrow in an attempt to “steal a march” on Chancellor George Osborne – a rival for No 10- just before Budget day.
A spokesman for the Mayor said he was not attending a meeting as Ashfield House tomorrow. He confirmed, however, that Mr Johnson would be meeting Night Tube Recruits there “later this week”. Asked which day, the spokesman said it would be “after the Budget” on Wednesday.
Starting Night Tube remains a gamble by LondonUnderground, which is relying on recruiting and having at leat 200 new part-time drivers. The Unite union and Transport salaried staffs Association have yet to officially endorse the Night Tube pay and conditions deal.
Manuel Cortes, general secretary of TSSA, said: “A lot of water will go under the bridge between now and then, including the fact that London will have a new mayor. Like Boris Johnston’s broken promise to keep all booking offices open, Night Tube proposals may still go up in smoke.”
Simon Thomas, chief executive of the Hippodrome Casino in Leicester Square, said: “I’m delighted that we’re finally getting the 24-hour’s
transportation service London badly needs to enable the West End to continue to prosper.”
26 January 2016 Dick Murray
THE start of the Night Tube is months away and might not happen until after the London mayoral election on May 5, it was claimed today.
This would rob Boris Johnson of the chance to announce a key achievement before he leaves office.
The Mayor announced 24-hour running on Fridays and Saturday in September 2014, without agreement from unions about how it would operate.
Yesterday, the RMT became the last union to call off a 24-hour strike due to start this evening in the dispute over Night Tube, pay and other issues.
Finn Brennan, London Underground organiser of Aslef, the train drivers' union and one of the key negotiators in the dispute, said: "We could still be months away from a start for Night Tube. We hope the progress that's been made means that London will finally get a night Tube service this year."
He blamed London Underground for the delay. The service failed to hit its launch date of September 12 last year because of the dispute over working conditions and pay. Tube bosses then announced they would employ 700 part-time drivers to run the Night Tube and LU is still shifting through 6,000 applications, although training takes 12 weeks.
LU would not name a new start date, saying the plan was to begin the Night Tube "as soon as possible".
Steve Griffiths, LU's chief operatin officer, said:
Following constructive talks at Acas, all four trade unions have suspended their strike action due to take place this week. Our very fair offer reiterates our previous guarantees on protecting the work-life balance of our staff and a four-year pay deal which remains within our business plan.
When it does start, the Night Tube will run on the entire Jubilee and Victoria lines, on the Central line between Ealing Broadway
and Loughton/Hainault, on the entire Northern line except the Mill Hill East and Bank branches, and on the Piccadilly line between
Cockfosters and Heathrow Terminal 5.
26 January 2016 Dick Murray
From today, the Night Tube will support London's 24-hour lifestyle by offering a round-the-clock service on Fridays and Saturdays, on five lines: the Jubilee, Victoria, and most of the Central, Northern and Piccadilly lines.
Across the Night Tube lines, you will be able to travel between Central London and the outskirts of the city. It will be pivotal to London's night economy and complement our existing Night bus services and London Taxi and Private Hire vehicles.
12 September 2015 London Underground
T ransport for London (TFL) has confirmed London's new 24 hour underground service will not launch on 12 September as planned
On Monday unions including RMT, Aslef and TSSA agreed to call off two 24-hour strikes as a "goodwill gesture" after talks with London Underground bosses made progress. Today TfL said it had engaged in "two weeks of constructive talks" with the unions, adding today's decision will "allow for the successful conclusion of those talks and agreement that delivers the Night Tube this Autumn, and avoids any further strike action". London commuters have already endured two strikes this summer.
"Further to the progress made in recent days with the trade unions and the suspension of strike action, we believe we are not far from an agreement that protects the work-life balance of our employees and is affordable, sustainable and fair," said London Underground managing director Nick Brown.
"As such, we have decided to defer the introduction of Night Tube to allow more time for those talks to conclude. Our objective is to reach an agreement that ends this dispute and delivers the Night Tube for Londoners this Autumn.”Mick Whelan, general secretary at Aslef said the union "welcomed" TfL's decision, adding that it "gives us all the time and space to negotiate properly on the introduction of the Night Tube in the capital".
Once it's launched, the Night Tube will run 24 hours a day on the Central, Jubilee, Northern, Piccadilly and Victoria lines at weekends. TfL said it will cut journey times for some passengers by more than an hour.
28 August 2015 by Sam (Night Underground Map Editor)
A 24-HOUR Tube service at weekends will begin next year, creating up to 2,000 jobs and giving London's economy a £360 million boost, it was announced today.
The Night Tube will launch in the early hours of September 12, a week before the Rugby World Cup starts.
Trains on five lines will run through the night on Fridays and Saturdays to ensure that the tournament begins amid a party atmosphere as fans stay out late to watch games. This service will then continue permanently aftr the World Cup ends.
There will be six trains an hour - one every 10 minutes - through central London on the Jubilee, Victoria, Piccadilly and Central lines as well as eight trains an hour on the busiest section of the Northern line.
The 24-hour Tube was first promised by Mayor Boris Johnson and London Underground last November.
24 Sept 2014 by Matthew Beard (Transport Editor)
UNDERGROUND trains are going to run through the night at weekends [24 hrs] in London on Fridays and Saturdays from 2015. The Piccadilly, Victoria, Central, Jubilee & Northern Lines will offer a 24-hrs services.
But the announcement, part of proposal also means that every ticket offie on the network will close, and staff moving to platforms and entrance hall. About 750 jobs would be lost under the plans, with Transport for London saving £50 million a year.
Yesterday, the mayour shrugged off criticisms that unions ahve made of the cuts, saying: 'We are getting staff to move from behind theri glass to areas whery they can help and communicate with customers. We are hopeful that our staff will see the massive benefits of what we ae doing.'. Mr Johnson unveiled the proposals yesterday in Piccadilly Circus, with a simplified Tube Map [See Above] to show the lines that would run at night. In Future TFL hopes to extend the service to other lines.
London Underground will also introduce contactless payments from next year, improved ticket machines and enhanced wi-fi in stations.
22 Nov 2013 by London Underground (TFL)